Both the road across Nordkleiva and Sørkleiva came down to Sundvolden. An ancient road, "Manneskarveien" led to the rocks. Large ferry boats passed Sundvolden on their way to Hungerholdt where the foreigners met and took over the lead.
The harsh climate that we have in this country meant that it was sometimes difficult to stay outside. The saga tells about "seal houses" that were listed along the roads. They were uninhabited houses that where on the roadside. The law stated that those who took hold of such seals were jointly responsible for the heat and only had the right to stay for three days.
As early as the Middle Ages, royal orders were made for taverns - guesthouses. These places had rights and obligations as stipulated by the law. One of the stories about this is linked to Sundvolden Hotel. In 1276 King Magnus Lagabøter came across the forest from Oslo. His son Håkon V, decided that it would be possible to build so-called tavern houses where travelers could enter. It is possible that from his days it was a kind of shelter for travelers at Kroksundet. There is no doubt that many have followed Magnus Lagabøter's footsteps through the forest.
Sundvolden became a major center for coal trafficking, which arrived in the 17th century. Here, transhipment from boats and barges took place in vehicles for further transportation. At this time, a simple inn and a primitive hostel were good enough. Finer people did not like this way, it's mentioned in an article from the local history book "Ringerike".
Ever since 1648, people have been confirmed to have stayed here. But the big traffic did not start until the early 1700s, when Krokskogen (the local forrest) started to be carved for wood. One had to travel longer than before to find charcoal, one of the places was Røyselandet. New roads were built and one of them was Krokkleiva, crossing Tyrifjorden to Røyse. Sundvolden became a natural center for coal traffic. People ate her, stayed overnight, and took care of their horses.
It was decided in the autumn of 1805 that the new king's road between Bergen was to cross Krokkleiva (the old king's road from Bergen to Oslo actually goes straight through the reception - something the architect of the new building has taken into account!). Ole Blyberg saw the possibilities here and bought Sundvolden Farm in 1809. He opened a hotel in the main building and as of today, is the restaurant! It is the oldest building here at Sundvolden Hotel. Ole Blyberg was the first in a wide range of owners of the hotel. Around 1850 Sundvolden Hotel really became popular because Johan Blyberg took over the hotel after his father.